Wednesday 21st November 2018
Monday 31st December 2018
£66,000 upwards (depending on experience level)
Looking for your next international legal opportunity?
Frequently voted as ‘Best Island in the Caribbean/Atlantic’ and less than 2 hours from most eastern US airports, Bermuda is one of the world’s leading offshore legal jurisdictions. Our client, one of the world’s finest offshore law firms, is looking for an experienced legal secretary to join their growing business in 2018/19.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively use the Document Management System; Establish and maintain an effective and up to date file review system and reminder system, both electronically and paper based
- Ensure that attorney’s time entries are inputted, released and posted, professional matters are billed, subject to agreement with fee earners, and send to the client on a timely basis
- In conjunction with the attorneys and Finance team, ensure that accounts receivables are monitored and action is taken with the attorney to affect recovery
- In conjunction with the attorneys and Marketing team, execute business development activities and with the Searches team, request company, litigation or property searches and follow up on same as well as undertake any projects (research, minute taking, etc.)
- Transcribe digital dictation, handwritten materials and track changes on marked up documents, including taking accurate messages when receiving telephone calls
- Proofread and draft correspondence and documents as directed. Initiate and answer routine correspondence, as directed by supervisor and produce confidential reports
- Deal with inquiries (internal/external) in the absence or unavailability of the attorney. Establish and maintain personal and professional files on behalf of attorney and coordinate the preliminary conflict check to ensure the attorney’s ability to represent the instructing party
- Coordinate appointments, meetings, conferences, booking rooms, creating schedules and any travel arrangements or reservations when required
- Creation of redline/blackline documents with the use of document comparison software and execute file opening and closing procedures in compliance with companies’ policies and procedures
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- A minimum of five (5) years’ secretarial experience (three years of which must be recent experience in a law firm/legal environment at a senior secretarial level) and/or have completed a certified secretarial course. Knowledge of legal terminology and practices strongly preferred
- Advanced secretarial skills including the ability to accurately type at 60 - 70 w.p.m. Knowledge of shorthand may be advantageous in some positions.
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of applications, specifically MS Word and MS Outlook, Client Management Systems (CMS) and Document Management Systems (DMS).
- The ability to recognize and prioritize urgent matters and possess the ability to consistently produce high quality work under pressure and be proactive and capable of using technical resources and offer sound organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with clients, fee earners and colleagues i.e., a thorough command of the English language, including excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Exercise discretion and confidentiality in all matters and must possess a professional attitude and approach, including the ability to work independently, exercising judgment and initiative, as well as work well within a team
Par La Ville Road, Hamilton, Bermuda, HM06, Bermuda