Wednesday 14th November 2018
We are looking for 2 Legal PAs who can demonstrate secretarial and administrative competencies to the highest level.
You will provide first class administrative support and secretarial service to a number of fee-earners such as Partners, Associates, Trainees, Professional Support Lawyers and other work providers.
You will be supporting the Legal Support Team Leaders in ensuring a high level of client service and provision of quality secretarial services in order to contribute to a world class 24 hour administration service.
We place an important emphasis on the development and well being of our people. We look to enable all of our employees to be the best they can be in order for them to deliver an excellent client service. We provide a specifically tailored Learning & Development Programme for all staff in Secretarial Services, a structured induction programme for all of our new joiners, a buddy scheme, and offer excellent career development opportunities. Our Secretarial Services staff enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture.
The ideal candidates will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. The ability to interact with staff at all levels, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, is crucial to this role. Expert level written and verbal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail are equally important. We are looking for an experienced career-minded PA, who has either legal sector or other professional services experience.
Duties will include:
* To proactively manage the fee earners' time, ensuring regular catch-up meetings to review and update on diary commitments and key priorities
* To proactively prepare agendas, papers etc in advance of key meetings
* To understand key role, responsibilities and priorities of fee earners, proactively building up strong relationships with each internal and external contact in order to provide a high level support service
* To support fee earners with highly confidential matters and documentation, as appropriate
* To manage projects and events (eg conferences, client or department events), taking ownership of end to end process
* To attend meetings, conference calls etc as appropriate to note key actions and responsibilities on behalf of fee earners
* To undertake proactive e-mail management (manage inbox and file e-mails), ensuring that urgent emails are promptly picked up, responded to and actioned in fee earners' absence
* To proactively make travel arrangements (visas, flights, hotels, dinners), taking full ownership of all logistics and preparing itineraries
* To support any client activities and requirements in a proactive manner, liaising with clients e.g. take messages, pass on information, deal with simple queries, meet and greet and client events
* To build effective relationships with all Global Executive Committee PAs, acting as an ambassador for the fee earners at all times
* To build relationships with client PA's, attending events as appropriate, acting as an ambassador for the firm at all times
* To manage the production of all confidential documents and to undertake general filing administration
* To ensure documents returned to the fee earners accurately reflect the original request before returning work, including proofreading the document, checking spelling, grammar, sense, amendments and presentation
* To maintain and manage fee earners' schedule acting as the key contact point for fee earners both internally and externally, pro-actively managing diaries and arranging meetings
* To undertake limited typing i.e. urgent short documents (digital and non digital dictation)
* To work proactively with other PAs in the Department, to provide a responsive and professional secretarial support service to fee earners and clients
* To lead others to ensure comprehensive telephone cover across the department in accordance with the standard operating procedure
* To maintain CRM by proactively updating InterAction and maintaining fee earner contact list
* Drive use of Interaction proactively communicating with fee-earners to ensure that data is up-to-date and used effectively
* To provide personal support (non B&M related), subject to PA's discretion
Departmental Coordination Support
* Work with LSTL and HR to assign PA to fee earners, advising on workable allocations
* Consult with LSTL to plan ahead, considering current and anticipated workloads, to ensure sufficient resources are in place including holiday, sickness, emergency leave, training etc
* As requested by the LSTL prepare for arrival of and assist with induction of new PA/Admin and joiners to the group
* As directed by the LSTL manage queries relating to the department
* Co-ordinate and organise office moves with facilities, seeking support from LSTL as required
* Provide feedback on performance and workflow as requested by LSTL
* Assist with interviews at the request of the LSTL and participate with shortlisting candidates and selection
* To support less experienced members of the team e.g. mentoring or buddying to act as role model demonstrating expected behaviours at all times
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
* Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2010- 2017 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
* The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
* The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
* Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2012 - 2018: currently ranked 6th
* Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, on 020 7919 5739 or emailPlease note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best with people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
* Career-minded candidates who have legal sector or other professional services experience / background, i.e. from the Big Four or banking sector.
* Experience at supporting senior management level
* 'Can-do' attitude, demonstrates proactivity and takes the initiative
* Consistently demonstrates secretarial competencies to the highest level in all areas
* Strong technical skills, including proficient in all software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
* Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
* High level organisational skills
* Understanding of the importance of Client Service
* People Management experience
* Flexibility, Dedication, Humanity and Efficiency
Diversity & Inclusion
* Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Baker & McKenzie Solicitors